The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) is a statutory body which is responsible for exhibition of films under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act 1952. It is mandatory for every film maker to get their film certified by the CBFC before public exhibition.
The Board, which functions under the Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (I&B), consists of non-official members and a Chairman. The CBFC board is based in Mumbai with having regional offices in Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Thiruvananthapuram, Hyderabad, New Delhi, Cuttack and Guwahati.
To ensure the good and healthy entertainment in accordance with the provisions of the Cinematograph Act 1952 and the Cinematograph (Certification) Rules 1983.
- To ensure healthy entertainment, recreation and education to the public
- To make the certification process transparent and responsible
- To create awareness among advisory panel members, media and film makers about the guidelines for certification and current trend in films through workshops and meetings
- To adopt modern technology for certification process through computerization of certification process and upgradation of infrastructure.
- To maintain transparency about Board’s activities through voluntary disclosures, implementation of e-governance, prompt replies to RTI queries and publication of annual report.
- To develop CBFC as a Centre of Excellence
Chairpersons Of The Censor Board
- C.S. Aggarwal (1951-54)
- B.D. Mirchandani (1954-55)
- M.D. Bhatt (1955-1959)
- D.L. Kothari (1959-1960)
- B.D. Micrchandani (1960-1960)
- D.L. Kothari (1960-1965)
- B.P. Bhatt (1965-1968)
- R.P. Nayak (1968-1969)
- M.V. Desai (1969-1970)
- R. Srinivasan (1970-1971)
- Virendra Vyas (1972-1976)
- K.L. Khandpur (1976-1981)
- Hrishikesh Mukherjee (1982-1983)
- Sharad Upasani (1983-1983)
- Surresh Mathur (1983-1983)
- Vikram Singh (1983-1989)
- Moreshwar Vanmali (1989-1990)
- B.P. Singhal (1990-1991)
- Shakti Samanta (1991-1998)
- Asha Parekh (1998-2001)
- Vijar Anand (2011-2002)
- Arvind Trivedi (2002-2003)
- Anupam Kher (2003-2004)
- Sharmila Tagore (2004-2011)
- Leela Samson (2011-till date)