The National Film Development Corporation of India (NFDC), Mumbai was established in 1975. NDFC has regional offices in Kolkata, Delhi and Chennai, while a branch office is located in Thirvananthapuram.
The National Film Development Corporation and its predecessor Film Finance Corporation in India, have played a big role in promoting independent, parallel cinema in India. Some of the critically acclaimed films of 70s and 80s like Salaam Bombay, Mirch Masala, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro were made with the NFDC’s assistance. Directors like Mira Nair, Ketan Mehta, Kundan Shah owe their success to NFDC.
The primary goal of the NFDC is to plan, promote and organize an integrated and efficient development of the Indian film industry and foster excellence in cinema. Over the years NFDC has provided a wide range of services essential to the growth of Indian cinema. The NFDC (and its predecessor the Film Finance Corporation) has so far funded / produced over 300 films. These films, in various Indian languages, have been widely acclaimed and have won many national and international awards.
Over the years NFDC has worked with some of the most acclaimed filmmakers of India including Satyajit Ray, Mira Nair, Aparna Sen, Shyam Benegal, Govind Nihalani, Mrinal Sen, Richard Attenborogh, Adoor Gopalkrishnan and Ketan Mehta.
NFDC aims at fostering excellence in cinema and promoting the diversity of its culture by supporting and encouraging films made in various Indian languages.
To create domestic and global appreciation and celebration of the independent Indian cinema.
- To develop talent and to facilitate the growth of Indian cinema in all languages through productions and co-productions, script development and need based workshops
- To promote Indian culture through cinema in India and overseas
- To build a lean and flexible organisation responsive to the needs of the Indian film industry
NFDC Board of Directors
- Chairman: Ramesh Sippy
- Managing Director: Nina Lath Gupta
- Director (Finance): Sahab Narain
- Additional Secretary & Financial Adviser (MIB): Shri. Jitendra Shankar Mathur
- Joint Secretary (Films) (MIB): Raghvendra Singh
- Non Official Part-time Director: Jawahar Lal Wattal
- Non Official Part-time Director: A. K. Bir